[wplug-plan] Next meeting.

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Wed Oct 22 13:36:49 EDT 2008

Nicholas Schembri wrote:
> Has a date for the next meeting been set?

We are currently looking at Nov. 22.  I expect that we'll have
confirmation within the next week.

> Without the script section, this should be about 15 minute for the
> talk and 15 minutes for open questions.
>
> I have a short topic "Watch my system go out of control.".
>
> I plan to start a small script on a test system that will continue
> to eat up resources  until the system is unusable.
> I then want to talk about the "watch" command.  In the process we
> will build a simple one line script to watch the system go out of
> control.
>
> The last step will be to create a bash/perl/php/python  script that
> will monitor and format the output in a clean manner.

This sounds interesting; I'd like to see a discussion of this
topic.  You could also look at tools like htop and dstat.

> What do you like to watch?
> What is the best kind of status report?

Hmm, I generally just use gkrellm.  On the WPLUG server, I
occasionally use free and mailq to check the memory and mail
server status.  CPU and process load there hasn't really been a
problem.

> What about a 10 minute introduction on bash/perl/php/python/ruby?

Hmm, 10 minutes isn't much time for any of those subjects.  :)  I
could see covering a particular aspect - for example, you could do
a series on bash, and have a 10-minute discussion of control
structures at one meeting, input/output redirection at the next,
etc.