[wplug-plan] Next meeting.

n schembr nschembr at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 12:49:46 EDT 2008

Hello,

Has a date for the next meeting been set?

The question was asked by someone at OLF,  "What  is linux good for?"    This is like asking what is a hammer good for. The short answer is of very little use to a newbe.

I want to start a series  of short topics for the Lug to cover this question,  "How to use Linux to solve simple problems."  The topic can be posted on the wiki and we can recycle them from time to time.

Without the script section, this should be about 15 minute for the talk and 15 minutes for open questions.

I have a short topic "Watch my system go out of control.".

I plan to start a small script on a test system that will continue to eat up resources  until the system is unusable.
I then want to talk about the "watch" command.  In the process we will build a simple one line script to watch the system go out of control.

The last step will be to create a bash/perl/php/python  script that will monitor and format the output in a clean manner.

For the script, lets all build this:

What do you like to watch?
What is the best kind of status report?

What about a 10 minute introduction on bash/perl/php/python/ruby?

Nicholas A.  Schembri
State College PA USA