[wplug-plan] abstract for October 20th talk

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Sep 24 14:59:47 EDT 2007

Folks,

Here is the abstract for the talk on October 20th.  Someone want to post
it on the WPLUG.org page and on the wiki?  I'm hoping this is a general
enough topic for an election meeting.

--Patrick

MythTV -- Ditch the TiVo and build your own Linux based Media Center

Most commercially available digital video recorders (DVRs) allow you to
record programs from a guide, pause live television, and free you from
the shackles of prime time scheduling.  But really, shouldn't they be
doing more?  How about cutting commercials?  Streaming media to other
televisions?  Accessing your photos, videos, and music?  Expand your
storage beyond a paltry 250GB?

In this talk I'll go over the ins and outs of MythTV, an expandable
Linux based suite of programs that provide DVR functionality and more.
I'll cover the basics of what you need to get going, the architecture of
MythTV, how to get standard and hi-definition, where listings come from,
and lots more.  If you've been thinking about making the leap to a
MythTV box, or are just curious, be sure to show up to this talk.