[wplug-plan] november installfest -- open solaris

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Oct 22 21:15:58 EDT 2007

Folks,

Beth Lynn had mentioned the possibility of doing Open Solaris for the
November 10th installfest, while Vance suggested Mandriva.  Apparently
Vance had problems getting ahold of folks at Mandriva and Beth Lynn had
already gone an ordered some stuff for Open Solaris.

Anyway, I called up some contacts at Sun to see what sort of help we
could get and to get the lowdown on the different versions of Solaris
available.  I was recommended that we try distributing Solaris Developer
Express, which is a straight-forward install with lots of bells and
whistles for developers.  However, we may want to try Nexenta or
Belienix.  There is a chance that we may get some help from Sun staff at
the installfest, which would be quite cool.

It was also recommended that we consider setting up a PXEboot server for
the Open Solaris installs, apparently the DVD layout isn't very well
done yet so there is some massive seekage during the install -- a 100Mb
network should work much better.  Anyone wanna take the lead on that?

Finally, I remember a guy who was trying to start an Open Solaris group
in the burgh.  I'm emailing him about the possibility too.

Any other comments or ideas?

Thanks!

--Patrick

PS. I would volunteer for the PXEboot, but I need to pick up some family
at the airport at 1pm, so I won't be able to stick around.