[wplug-plan] opensolaris for installfest

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Thu Nov 1 11:45:15 EDT 2007

Folks,

We're trying something a little different for the November InstallFest -
OpenSolaris. I believe that currently we're focusing on Solaris
Developer Express - a DVD based install that Beth Lynn was going to try
and get some install DVDs for. I've been informed by my spies inside Sun
that the DVD install can be kinda slow, so we should be getting a PXE
boot server virtual machine for the installfest.

Does anyone have a machine that will be connected to the network the
entire time that can run the virtual machine? If this goes well, I could
see us doing it with other virtual machines in the future. I would
volunteer, but have to run to the airport at 1pm.

I also noticed that first official release of OpenSolaris Developer
(different from Solaris Developer) came out yesterday. This is what will
make up OpenSolaris -- it's a lot more Linux with GNU utilities, GNOME
2.20, and bash instead of SH as the default shell. Oh yeah, did I
mention the default filesystem is ZFS? HELL YEAH! Anyway, I'm
downloading the CD of that right now and will give it a spin before the
installfest next week. I'll see about going the quick and easy route of
providing a VMWare virtual machine image for people who want to try it
out really quick.

Anyway, be excited about this. Linux has a lot of things about it that
sorta suck, Solaris has features (or deficiencies) that suck too, but
this should let us get a more broad view and play with some great stuff
from Sun.

If you're interested in helping out with the installfest, that would be
awesome[1] -- let me or Beth Lynn know.

--Patrick

[1] How awesome would it be? How about this awesome?!
http://www.radarmagazine.com/features/2006/12/toys.php
That's right, we're talking Lawn Darts awesome! You can't get anymore
awesome than that!