[wplug-plan] options for virtual hosting

Michael H. Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Wed May 16 17:07:09 EDT 2007

On 5/16/07, Vance Kochenderfer <vkochend at nyx.net> wrote:

>   mailserver (for non-list addresses, currently sendmail)
>   mailing lists (currently mailman, requires python)
>   httpd (currently Apache, AOLserver)
>   CMS/wiki (currently OpenACS, MediaWiki, requires PHP)
>   database server (currently PostgreSQL)
>   monkeybot (requires perl, may have AUP issues with new host)
>   sshd (most shell logins may be unnecessary on new host)

I can weigh in here to clear up some things regarding Pair that Patrick
wasn't able to.  I've been a customer of theirs for about 5 years, and I can
clarify the mailing list thing:

Pair offers mailing list support.  I have not tried it, and it is a
'by-request' feature.  They're a bit vague about it.  Its not part of the
specific package, but its basically by request they'll set you up with one
or two.  They might let us have four or five if we asked nicely, because
they're cool like that.

Also...  They offer mysql, a single ssh login per account, and about
hundreds of IMAP accounts, with more available for a fee.  You don't have
root access, but you can write your own htaccess files, cron scripts, and
just about anything else.  There servers are all FreeBSD 6-STABLE.  And
their support is top-notch, excellent, best in the biz.

Those are the facts (lightly sprinkled with opinions and bias).  Of course,
that doesn't mean that they're right for this project or that project.
They are what they are, and they're in a very competitive market.