[wplug-plan] May meeting

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Thu May 3 12:24:35 EDT 2007

Patrick Wagstrom <pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> The meeting on the 12th needs to be a business meeting because we're
> finishing up the elections for the position of treasurer.  According to
> our bylaws (http://www.wplug.org/pages/bylaws#5.1), these need to
> announced two weeks in advance.  We've missed that deadline, meaning
> that either it's not a business meeting and technically we need to have
> one later in the month, or we need to make it special meeting.

Actually, for an election (which is specified to be held by
absentee ballot), it's three weeks:

    "When absentee ballots are to be used for voting, they shall be
     opened and counted at a regular meeting. The Secretary shall
     notify the membership at least 21 days prior to such a vote
     including a description of the matter to be voted upon.

    "The Secretary shall create a ballot which includes the
     particulars of the resolution or election which is the subject
     of the vote and shall transmit a copy of the ballot to the
     membership at least 14 days, but no more than 28 days, prior to
     the voting meeting..."

<http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug-board/2005-October/000510.html>

> So, I'd like feedback on what to do.

I really hate to suggest this, but I can't think of an alternative
to pushing the election back to June.

> I'm also going to make a future motion that we revise the bylaws to make
> it so we only need four membership meetings a year and only need 1 week
> notice for a regular meeting and remain at 2 weeks for the annual meeting.

This deserves its own separate discussion.  It would impact many
areas of the bylaws and other rules, as well as the underlying
assumptions made when these were written.