[wplug-plan] Re: Open Source in Medical Software

David Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 22:19:43 EST 2007

Corrections and links below.

On 2/22/07, David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is anyone interested in hearing a talk about the use of Free and Open
> Source Software by medical professionals?
>
> Software in the health care professions serve very specific and
> sometimes obscure purposes. I had a chance to talk to Dr. Tom Peters

Got his name wrong...

He's Tom Jones, M.D., their Chief Medical Officer. He is based in
California, but he worked with Oracle in the Pittsburgh region some
time ago. He told me that they work with health care providers and
their ISPs to set up their systems.

> of Tolven, Inc. last week, and he expressed interest in talking about
> his organization's promotion of F/OSS to hospitals and clinics. I
> think we're in a great position to turn up a lot of interest in this
> field, as Pittsburgh has a lot of medical research institutes.

Here's their website:
http://www.tolvenhealth.com/

Here's why they do F/OSS:
http://www.tolvenhealth.com/whyopensource.html

And here's their software and source code:
http://www.tolven.org/

--
David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com>