[wplug-plan] Speakers wanted: How do I do that?

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Mon Feb 19 04:03:45 EST 2007

The topic for our March 10 General User Meeting is How Do I Do
That?  We are looking for several brief presentations on Linux
and Open Source applications that are popular counterparts to
what people in the Windows world might be familiar with.  An
example might be to demonstrate The GIMP as an alternative to
Photoshop.

Head on over to the wiki page at
<http://wplug.ece.cmu.edu/wiki/index.php/How_Do_I_Do_That%3F>
and sign up at the bottom.  If you'd like, you can also fill in
some of the empty spaces in the matrix comparing Windows and Linux
applications.

Make your topic/presentation task-oriented.  For example, if your
subject is The GIMP, don't plan to go through all of its different
features.  Instead, select a particular task, such as cleaning up a
digital photo to put on your web page, and show how you would
accomplish that (e.g., removing red eye, adjusting contrast,
cropping, scaling, etc.).

Note that we cannot guarantee that you will be able to access the
Internet during your talk, so make sure it's possible for your demo
to function correctly without net access.

Thanks, and if you've got any questions fire away here on the -plan
list!

Oh, and volunteers are also welcome for set-up/hosting/pizza/etc.:
<http://wplug.ece.cmu.edu/wiki/index.php/Meeting-20070310#Meeting_Staff>.