[wplug-plan] Got something to say? Here's your chance!

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Sep 19 23:22:11 EDT 2006

As you may have heard, the October 21st meeting is the annual WPLUG
Elections Pow-Wow[1].  In keeping with the finest of traditions set by
the last Elections Pow-Wow, we'll have some homemade food from some of
the current WPLUG board members and some interesting talks.  How
interesting are these talks?  Well, they're called lightning talks.
Lightning is fast, it's powerful, and it leaves a disaster where it
strikes -- we're looking at the first two properties of lightning.

Simply put, a lightning talk is a 5-10 minute talk on a particular
topic.  If you go over 10 minutes, the orchestra will start playing and
we'll cue the next commercial break.  You don't have to be an expert to
do a lightning talk.  Say there's a piece of software you really like,
find a way to talk for 5 minutes on it - it doesn't matter if it's a
game, application, etc.  Does the GPLv3 interest you?  Highlight the new
anti-DRM provisions in 5 minutes!  How about net neutrality?  The
possibilities are endless.

As a thank you for doing a lightning talk, you'll receive our undying
thanks and a gift from the WPLUG Swag Vault[2].  Last year I got a
delightfully dotcom retro VA Linux T-Shirt.

Interested?  Sign up on the Wiki at:
http://wplug.ece.cmu.edu/wiki/index.php/Meeting-20061021

More questions?  Email me!

--Patrick

[1] Despite my attempts at the board meetings, I could not get this to
be the official meeting name.

[2] The WPLUG Swag Vault is a little like the Disney DVD Vault, only
we're not trying to hoard stuff, and we've got T-shirts and the likes,
where they've got weird movies with happy slaves[3].

[3] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038969/