[wplug-plan] Quorum Conundrum

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Jul 27 09:37:01 EDT 2006

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 23:20:31 -0400
Michael Semcheski <lists at immuneit.com> wrote:

> Bill Moran wrote:
> > I do think that we're on the right road, however.  I'd like to see
> > LOTS of discussion here on the lists prior to topics coming up to
> > vote.  Then, at meeting time, people have an opportunity to verbally
> > state their opinions (whether repetitiously, or because they weren't
> > able to do so effectively online)
>
> I guess I'd like to clear up what I was talking about vis a vis online
> voting.
>
> I'm not saying its a good idea, but it is what it is, and its changed a
> bit since I've been composing this email:
>
> The Internet Committee couldn't find a time when we could all get
> together.  Its difficult.  You have jobs, you have commitments to other
> people, etc.  There are two days when I can do things that need to be
> done during the day (yardwork, some shopping).  They are also the only
> days I can travel for leisure.  Saturday and Sunday.  Meetings generally
> seem to go from 10:00 to 2:00.  But there's a bit of dead time in there.

I'm not sure what the _exact_ schedule is for the 5th, but over the course
of this year, we've scheduled the "business" part of the meeting (where
discussion and voting occurs) for the first hour of the day, then the
rest of the day is for presentations and socializing.  If you just want
to show up for the "business" meeting, that shouldn't be a problem, as
we've scheduled it for an hour (10:30 - 11:30 I believe).  At the end
of the scheduled time, if there is still discussion and voting that needs
done, it will have to be rescheduled till next month.

> I'm all for wplug.  But the meetings need some work.  And if there is
> going to be a discussion at the meeting, it should be moderated.  80
> members right -- what if they all showed up?

We're aware of this, and working toward making meetings more streamlined
and efficient.  My view on this is that it's primarily a matter of the
board doing a good job of running large meetings.  For my part, I'm still
learning.

> It seems like a no brainer.  Go in, vote, pay up dues for the year or
> don't.  By my calculation, it should take exactly one hour.  If more
> time than that is required, I would like to see a compelling reason be
> broached first online.

I agree, and I think most others do as well.  That _is_ the goal for the
5th, and any deviation from that plan will be some degree of failure.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies