[wplug-plan] web page issues

Michael Semcheski lists at immuneit.com
Thu Jul 20 18:44:16 EDT 2006

Patrick Wagstrom wrote:
> One thing that's come up a few times in the past is the need for a
> new sexier website for WPLUG.  So here's an idea to float.  Bribery.
>  Yes, bribery.  You can tell I'm big on this (from the board
> discussion about it for members meetings), because it really works.
> Here's the idea, lets do a contest.  The winner gets some prize.  Not
>  a crappy prize like a T-Shirt, but something decent, like a VOIP
> phone, a WRT54GL, or the likes.  We'll see if it can be donated or
> what not, or buy it.

Patrick,

I think the idea of using bribery is a good enough idea to be a
foundation for redesigning the website.

But its a complicated issue.  "... moving the web site off of OpenACS
and onto a more reasonable CMS.  Among other features, this would give
us wiki functionality..."

First we'd have to define 'reasonable'  (not too hard).  Once thats
done, we have to find a CMS that fits our definition of reasonable
(harder).  Then, we have to agree on what features we want (getting more
difficult) and agree on how things should be set up (yikes).

Here's what I would like to do:

Advise anyone who's interested to join the wplug-web mailing list.
(From this point on, when I say 'we' I mean interested parties.)  We
kick around ideas with the preliminary goal of brainstorming.  After
that, we kick out a basic set of goals for the website.  Sort of a
vision statement.  Then, we figure out how we want to get these
completed.  Simultaneously, there's another set of interested parties
who figure out what kind of stuff we can use for the bribery.

Finally, we look at the vision statement, look at the items we've
drummed up, and decide how we're going to trade one (bounty items) for
the other (fulfillment of the vision.)

This is just an idea, but I think it might add a little bit of structure
that would reduce the ad-hoc nature of 'see what you can do, and we'll
see what we can give you.'

Thoughts?

Mike