[wplug-plan] web page issues

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Jul 20 09:29:11 EDT 2006

Folks,

One thing that's come up a few times in the past is the need for a new
sexier website for WPLUG.  The old one works well, but it's got some
usability issues that make it a bit or a drain.  Also, there probably is
so much more we could do with the web page.

So here's an idea to float.  Bribery.  Yes, bribery.  You can tell I'm
big on this (from the board discussion about it for members meetings),
because it really works.  Here's the idea, lets do a contest.  The
winner gets some prize.  Not a crappy prize like a T-Shirt, but
something decent, like a VOIP phone, a WRT54GL, or the likes.  We'll see
if it can be donated or what not, or buy it.

Better yet, have multiple different prizes.  We could break the task up
into different sections.  Possibly coordinate some with the PR
committee.  Create a consistent image for WPLUG.  This includes
designing the website, flyers, business cards etc.  First step would
probably be evaluating the logo and all that.  I think it's fine, but
opening it up could produce some interesting results.  After we have a
logo, have folks go at it.

In the open spirit, we could start out with the web saying that the
first design would be the features, then we just style that with CSS or
something for another contest on top of it.

Anyway, just streaming some consciousness today.  What do y'all think?

--Patrick