[wplug-plan] something to consider for the future

Greg Simkins gregsim at telerama.com
Tue Jul 18 09:12:33 EDT 2006

Now, I am confused.  What do we want from PTC?  I do get their magazine, but
apart from attending a few meetings in their facility, I have not found them
particularly helpful.

Why don't we just make sure that all of our events are posted on the
Business Calendar (http://www.businesscalendar.org/)?  I think that would
get us more mileage than anything that PTC would condescend to do for us.  I
volunteer to help with that.

As far as friendship, I attend .Net User Group meetings from time to time.
They are generally sponsored by Microsoft.  Microsoft provides free pizza
and some guy to make a dense sales presentation on some Microsoft product.
By the time the Microsoft visitor is done yacking, it is late and time to
leave.  I walk away with my belly full and my head spinning. The Code Camp
was a pretty decent event - I guess I picked up a little information, but
have not yet actually applied it.  As far as culture is concerned, I prefer
WPLUG.  We seem to tolerate each other's peculariarities pretty well and
genuinely try to help one another.

Maybe if we feel a need for cash flow - rather than sponsorship, we should
advise WPLUG meeting attendees of the costs of an event and a suggested
donation to cover the cost.  That is not too demanding.  Other professional
groups have no problem demanding $30 for a dinner meeting and threatening to
bill anybody that makes a reservation and doesn't show up.

Greg