[wplug-plan] something to consider for the future

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Tue Jul 18 08:34:33 EDT 2006

> Jared is the guy who runs the Pittsburgh .Net Users Group.  See:
> http://www.pghdotnet.org/.  He is a pretty good fellow. I am not sure how
> eager he will be to promote WPLUG, but I could call him if you like.  Should
> I admit that I am a member of the .Net users group?

I've spoke with Jared in the past regarding WPLUG, and he was interested
in partnering (or something).

The problem is the cultural divide.  Other users groups just submit to
the rule of PTC.  It seems as if other users groups (PittJUG and .NET)
live and die for PTC sponsorship.  Jared seemed confused that we were
already up and running and didn't _need_ the PTC.  I didn't get a feel
that they weren't interested in WPLUG, just that he was confused
and unsure how the relationship would work.

I really think it just needs someone who has some free cycles to make
friends, listen, and come to understand what mutual benefits can be
had by working with the PTC, as well as getting the PTC to understand
that there are benefits to them.

I don't think they know how to proceed if we don't fit into the same
mold as other UGs.  Someone needs to show them that a) the effort is
worthwhile and b) there is a relationship that will work for both
parties.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.