[wplug-plan] campus booth space for promotions

David Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 02:15:04 EST 2006

On 1/23/06, Vance Kochenderfer <vkochend at nyx.net> wrote:
> Beth Lynn gave me 100 blank CDs.  I burned Knoppix on 25 of them,
> and would like some guidance on what to do with the rest.  I think
> the best choices are:
>
>  -Knoppix 4.0.2
>  -Ubuntu 5.10 live CD
>  -TheOpenCD 3.1 (includes a bootable mini-Ubuntu 5.10)
>  -SimplyMEPIS 3.3.1-1

Nice work so far, Vance.

Out of that list, I'm partial to Ubuntu, partly because it's
GNOME-based, and partly because it works better on my laptop than
Knoppix. I know next to nothing about SimplyMEPIS, though what I've
heard has been good. But, don't base your choices on my prejudices.

Ubuntu has a pretty strong following. Shy of handing out Fedora or
Mandriva multi-disc sets, I'd offer that to new users, because if
they've got questions, they'll find somebody to answer them.

I'd keep about 15 out of 100 discs for the TheOpenCD. If people are
curious but otherwise uninformed about free and open-source software,
that's a tremendous icebreaker. I gave an OpenCD to a friend of mine,
and she loves it, even though she won't switch to Linux anytime soon.

It's also worth mentioning that all that software on TheOpenCD is also
available on Linux.

That's my $0.02.

--
David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com>