[Fwd: Re: [wplug-plan] ... on the new penguin (WPLUG server that is)]

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Jan 23 12:55:09 EST 2006

Duncan Hutty <dhutty+wplug at ece.cmu.edu> wrote:

> Bill Moran wrote:
> > I've taken on the chore of getting the new WPLUG server ready to take
> > over the mailing list && web site.
> >
> > I'm pretty short on a lot of information.  I'll do the bullet list thing:
> >
> > 1) Does the Internet committee have a mailing list?
> > 2) Can someone please get me the output of "rpm -qa" on the existing
> >    penguin.
> > 3) Anyone who knows of any software on penguin not installed as RPMs,
> >    please speak up.
> > 4) Can I get a list of data that needs transferred.
> > 5) Anyone know how to get this &%*$#@ gateway to boot off a CD?
>
> wplug has a new server? neat. oh, except it's a '&%*$#@ gateway'.
> Where is it going to live? I can offer a spot in ECE's machine room, if
> I'm (somewhat) involved.

I thought the "where it will live" stuff was sorted out (although I don't
know the answer).  If not, it should be.  I'm not a fan of setting up a
server only to let it sit around until the software becomes obsolete.

> Do you want help setting it up for service? I had originally talked to
> BLE about taking this over some time ago, but if you want to, that's
> fine by me. Perhaps a joint effort would be useful.

Sure.  I'm just trying to get a base OS install at this time, but there's
plenty more to do.

> presumably you've tried various f-keys, escape and delete to get into a
> boot menu/bios?

Well, #5 was more than a rant than a question.  However, I've tried the
usual suspects, and the BIOS says that the CD is the first boot device,
even though it doesn't seem to detect it.  I have to ensure the CD is
good, and pop the cover to make sure everything is wired properly.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies