[wplug-plan] pizza related issues

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Jan 7 19:31:32 EST 2006

Folks,

(This message is CC'd to Scott because I'm not sure if he's on the plan
list or not)

Today brought up two interesting issues related to pizza.  One is
serving those who have specific dietary restrictions (vegetarian, etc).
The other is how to handle people who arrive late.  These seem small,
but both have the possibility to really upset some people if we don't
handle them properly.

Regarding vegetarians, the complaint is that the "meat-eaters" pilfer
the vegetarian pizzas leaving the vegetarians without anything to eat.
Today Scott handled this by letting the vegetarians get their pizza
first and then announcing that pizza was available. I think that Scott
handled this the right way today and in the future it might be a good
way to handle it.

With regard to people coming late, we need to establish a policy on
this.  Today we had a few people arrive around 1:30 wanting to get in on
the pizza order.  Here's the issue that I have with this: WPLUG does not
order pizza as a money making venture.  Basically we serve as an
organizing body for those who want pizza - usually we try to make it so
we spend almost all of the money we receive.  From my experience if we
make a profit, it's at most five bucks.  The more people who choose to
become members the more of that cost is beared by the other people who
are paying for the pizza.

Where the issue comes in is if people show up late and want in.  Say we
order eight pizzas for 16 people and pay a total of $60 for those pizzas
(four free pizzas, where their 4x$5 goes to the wplug treasury).  Each
person at this point gets about 1/2 a pizza, around 4 pieces or so.  Now
lets say that we have three additional people want pizza, suddenly
instead of each person getting 0.5 of pizza, they get .42 of a pizza, or
about three pieces (actually $4.20 of pizza) and WPLUG gets their $15 to
the general fund.

Now the question we need to ask is "Is this fair?".  For me, I certainly
don't want people who don't show up on time to lower the value of my $5.
I'm also a little concerned because of the accounting situation.  I
don't think we want to making $15 on the pizza as I'm not sure how we
account for that or if we're legally allowed to make money like that.

Anyway, something for discussion.  We need to have a policy so people
don't get angry about it.  I know it seems small, but I've seen
WPLUGgers go crazy over smaller things.

--Patrick

PS. I realize there are nitpicky ways that you can change how I use the
numbers here, but the general point is the same.  People coming late
lower the value of my investment in the public good (pizza).  In
essence, they're free riders.