[wplug-plan] PR idea WAS Re: Pitt/CMU Spring Semester

David Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 12:42:19 EST 2006

A Demo Day is a great idea! My comments below.

On 1/2/06, Beth Lynn <bethlynn at wplug.org> wrote:
> My proposal is two-fold:
> * Hold a WPLUG demo-day as the GUM (expected date Feb 4) and follow up
> with a re-run my Linux Basics Tutorial (expected date Feb 11)

Beth, we might want to have something similar on the 4th for newbies.
I do like your Linux Basics tutorial, and I was raised on the command
line, myself, but command-line power should be a follow-up to
something more fundamental. Perhaps I could step new Linux users
through some simple GUI apps, given some Ubuntu CDs. A little aid on
setting up a network or dialup wouldn't hurt, either. Give 'em ground
to walk on.

> * Let's proceed with a booth at CMU and Pitt early in the spring semester
> to A. Give out Knoppix CDs B. Invite people to the next wplug demo day if
> they are Linux-curious C. Advertise the existence of wplug for the Linux
> fans

Are there scheduled times for these sorts of events at CMU and Pitt?
I'd be interested if it fell on a weekend.

> We're going to need a lot of help to make this happen therefore I hope we
> can get to work this Saturday at the installfest. We will need help
> burning and labeling Knoppix CDs, deciding on what exactly we should
> "demo", designing fliers, etc.

I'll have a handful of Knoppix and Fedora CDs for the installfest, so
if you want more, I'll burn more.

--
David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com>