[wplug-plan] PR idea WAS Re: Pitt/CMU Spring Semester

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Mon Jan 2 21:33:55 EST 2006

Hello,

Tonight I happened to unearth some interesting pieces of wplug history
which gave me ideas for this PR thread. Apparently on September 18 1999
wplug had a "Linux Demo Day"

According to the flier we demoed
"apps such as Apache, Star Office, Word Perfect 8, Quake 1,2 & 3 etc"
"using Linux as a firewall and other wonderful things"

The point was to show off what Linux is all about. This is different from
the Linux basics tutorial since it's just showing off what cool things you
can do with Linux rather than how to use Linux.

My proposal is two-fold:
* Hold a WPLUG demo-day as the GUM (expected date Feb 4) and follow up
with a re-run my Linux Basics Tutorial (expected date Feb 11)
* Let's proceed with a booth at CMU and Pitt early in the spring semester
to A. Give out Knoppix CDs B. Invite people to the next wplug demo day if
they are Linux-curious C. Advertise the existence of wplug for the Linux
fans

We're going to need a lot of help to make this happen therefore I hope we
can get to work this Saturday at the installfest. We will need help
burning and labeling Knoppix CDs, deciding on what exactly we should
"demo", designing fliers, etc.

So, what do you think?

Thanks,
Beth Lynn