[wplug-plan] issue report: outer door of NSH 1st floor lobby was intermittently locked on October 15, 2005 during the WPLUG GUM

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Tue Oct 18 15:43:58 EDT 2005

Hello,

The outer door of the Newell Simon Hall first floor lobby was locked
intermittently during the hours of the October 15, 2005 General Users
Group meeting. This made it difficult for attendees to enter the first
floor lobby and use the campus phone so that they can be escorted to the
meeting room. The problem did not effect the third floor lobby. Nor did
the problem effect the door that opens directly into Newell Simon Hall
1507.

As a Carnegie Mellon University employee, I called campus police
twice to have the door unlocked on October 15. Both times the door was
unlocked by campus police however it was locked again by an unknown person.

Today I reported the issue to the Building Facilities Manager of Newell
Simon. I have been assured that the outer door in question should never
be locked. The inner door should be locked on Saturday but it should be
able to be unlocked with an authorized Carnegie Mellon ID card.

This issue is now being escalated to Carnegie Mellon University Campus
Police Chief Craig Doyle.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Sincerely,
Beth Lynn Eicher