[wplug-plan] Re: [wplug] [wplug-announce] 1st annual membership meeting

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Fri Oct 14 17:54:11 EDT 2005

Hello,

It is usual protocol for organizational discussion to happen on the
mailing list wplug-plan at wplug.org however many questions were asked on
this mailing list pertaining to dues and membership. Most of these
questions have been adequately addressed by others but I wanted to take
this opportunity to clarify things.

Bill Halpin was correct when he said that information about the dues was
hidden or missing from the website.
Unless someone:
1. religiously reads the archives of wplug-plan at wplug.org and
wplug-board at wplug.org
OR
2. attends meetings were organizational matters are discussed
one might not know about the board's standing policy on dues.

Chris Ott also put forth some valid questions
> While we're on this subject, I'd like to ask: is this $5 per year, per
> month, per minute, or just $5 forever. Everything else you've written
> implies $5 per year, but I don't see how you could fund a year's worth
> of pizza coupons for that small an amount.

Michael Semcheski was concerned about the transitional "chicken in the
egg" issues with phasing in a new set of bylaws.
On the bylaws page
http://www.wplug.org/pages/bylaws
the proviso which handles all of these issues is linked at the top.
The proviso url is http://www.wplug.org/pages/proviso

The membership page was edited today to bring some clarity to these
issues.
http://www.wplug.org/membership/

And a dues explanation page was added.
http://www.wplug.org/membership/dues

Schedule of dates pertaining to nominations, elections and membership:

* October 14 at 9am - the last batch of members were approved in time for
the nominations meeting

* October 15 - nominations meeting, only registered members may be
nominated at this meeting. The ballot will be finalized at the end.
Therefore anyone who begins their campaign after October 15 will be considered a walk-in
candidate

* November 1 - the last day for members to be admitted in order to vote in
the November 5 election.

* November 5 - board elections

* Applications for membership can be done at any time on the website
http://www.wplug.org/membership/

* The board will meet weekly to approve new members between now and
November 1 so that everyone has ample opportunity to become members before then

I hope this addresses the concerns voiced on this list earlier this week.
At the meeting tomorrow I will be available to take questions on this
issue. Furthermore, you may write me privately if you wish.

Please do not post organizational questions and concerns on the general
list, wplug at wplug.org This list is supposed to be for technical discussion
pertaining to Linux and Open Source.

I encourage that we continue to discuss any matter concerning the
organizational issues of WPLUG however I urge you all to use the proper forum,
wplug-plan at wplug.org Subscription is required for posting to the
wplug-plan list. You may do so at the following url
http://www.wplug.org/mailman/listinfo/wplug-plan

Thanks,
Beth Lynn Eicher
WPLUG Board Chair