[wplug-plan] Problem with rude audience members at recent talks

Duncan Hutty duncanhutty at comcast.net
Tue May 3 19:42:52 EDT 2005

Beth Lynn wrote:

> Really, seriously - the side comments have to stop. All of you, please.

I think this is a good idea.

> Presentations are not discussions.

Perhaps the host can ask the speaker beforehand what style they would
like, whether a relatively informal directed discussion or a more formal
presentation. Then, if a more formal style is requested, this can be
communicated to the audience with something like "In order to ensure
that the material can be covered effectively, we request that questions
and comments are reserved for the [mid-talk break and the]end of the
session."

> For this reason I close with selfish reason why one should behave:

As usual, Beth Lynn is not being selfish, but aligns her reasons and
intentions with the best benefit to WPLUG.

> 1. If we disgust a speaker, chances are that person will never speak
> for us again.
> 2. If we disgust our audience, new people will go away never to return
> which guarantees that our community will never grow.
> 3. Regular wplugers might feel discouraged from speaking if the
> audience gives the speaker a hard time.
> 4. Even regulars may not want to come back if we consistently fail to
> conduct professional lectures.
> 5. If you are particularly disruptive, the speaker will not be able to
> cover all of the intended content therefore everyone loses out of the
> additional learning experience.
> 6. If the talk is interrupted too often, you get to eat cold pizza.
> 7. If you stop to answer a phone call, you are stealing your own time
> from listening to the presentation.
> 8. When we record a presentation, would you prefer to hear what the
> speaker came to say or would you rather hear your own voice?

I know that I have been guilty of adding comments or questions
occasionally; I like to think that for the most part, I have not been
objectionable, and I would only do so at less formal talks. I will
endeavour to curb my enthusiasm. Bill seems to have that style to his
talks and several wpluggers seems to enjoy it. I also like the more
formal style and I think that is up to the presenter and the host to
decide the style of a particular talk. The decision, once made in
advance, should be firm.

Duncan Hutty