[wplug-plan] Problem with rude audience members at recent talks

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Tue May 3 15:08:05 EDT 2005

Hello,

On Saturday I received many complaints regarding the cell phone call and
the comment outbursts.

I hoped that everyone would be on good behavior since there was a
significant amount of people there who were new to wplug. <sigh>

Unfortunately I forgot to give my "turn off your cell phones or else I
will answer it" threat. I'm sorry folks.

We've also had some complaints (not last Saturday, but on many other
times) that the pizza was cold because the talk had not ended yet. Why do
our talks end late? It's because some audience members go off on tangents,
attempt to debate, and interject with side comments.

Really, seriously - the side comments have to stop. All of you, please.
Presentations are not discussions. If you want to give the speaker a cue
that you are in support, nod your head. If you want a dialog, for
everyone's sake, please take it off-line. There is plenty of time after
the talk to have discussions and debate. Some of you do make intelligent
side comments but I'm asking you  all to please stop because it encourages
ignorant behavior all around.

Unless the speaker addresses you directly, you have no reason to say a
word while the speaker has the floor. Raising your hand is a good way to
attract the speaker's attention. However, before doing so, please
formulate the question in a way that engages the speaker and the rest of
the audience. Do not interject each time the speaker says something that
you disagree with philosophically. And most importantly, do not attempt to
steal the floor with your own comments on the topic; if you are also an
expert, why don't you give the talk next time. A good rule of thumb to
make sure that you are not stealing the show is to limit your questions to
two and take the rest off-line. Perhaps we should ask the speaker if he or
she wants to take mid-talk questions at all.

If you do not intend on paying attention to the talk because you'd rather
chit-chat with the folks around you, please leave the lecture area. We
have the space for this reason. Moreover, the room is open for at least an
hour before and an hour after the talk. Socializing can wait or relocate.

I think that the worst offenders are selfishly doing what they think is
best for them at the time.

For this reason I close with selfish reason why one should behave:
1. If we disgust a speaker, chances are that person will never speak for
us again.
2. If we disgust our audience, new people will go away never to return
which guarantees that our community will never grow.
3. Regular wplugers might feel discouraged from speaking if the audience
gives the speaker a hard time.
4. Even regulars may not want to come back if we consistently fail to
conduct professional lectures.
5. If you are particularly disruptive, the speaker will not be able to
cover all of the intended content therefore everyone loses out of the
additional learning experience.
6. If the talk is interrupted too often, you get to eat cold pizza.
7. If you stop to answer a phone call, you are stealing your own time from
listening to the presentation.
8. When we record a presentation, would you prefer to hear what the
speaker came to say or would you rather hear your own voice?

Thanks,
Beth Lynn