[wplug-plan] Problem with rude audience members at recent talks

David Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Mon May 2 18:08:21 EDT 2005

On 5/2/05, Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:
> wplug at badgertronics.com (Mark Dalrymple) wrote:
> > During Warren's talk, short comments "uh-huh", "yeah", "that's right"
> > (which are annoying enough to start out with, but not too
> > distracting), became longer and longer as time went on.  By the time I
> > went over to ask him to stop, it was getting to be half Warren and
> > half tangentally related comments.  All just spoken out without any
> > kind of request for permission.
>
> I aplogize, as I was guilty of making a few unauthorized comments as well.
> While this doesn't seem bad on the surface, if everyone in the audience
> made one or two comments, the speaker would never get to speak.

This is something I'm a little hazy on, myself.

I was another one who was making comments. If I got on anyone's
nerves, I am sorry. All of my comments and outbursts were in support
of the speaker, and I never intended to grate on anyone.

> However, it seems like this is a single person being accused of causing
> most of the problem.  I know this is going to be uncomfortable, but I
> feel that if the problem is coming from a single point, then that point
> of problem should be addressed directly.

It was irritating. When his phone rang the second time, I actually
said his name out loud, trying to silence him. It was a dumb and
ineffectual move.

Perhaps whoever's on general anti-BS patrol should sit as far up front
as possible. It would be easier for them to direct offenders, even
non-malevolent ones.

[...]
> I don't see it as a major issue either.  mpop, for example, is a helpful
> and well-liked member of WPLUG who has had problems being disruptive
> during talks.  These problems have been mostly cleared up, mainly because
> he was approached directly (IMHO).  I think a good first step would be
> for someone to talk to the person causing the problme and see if he's
> capable of adjusting his behaviour.

It can be a major issue if you're directly involved, though. I was one
of the people recruited to talk to mpop. That wasn't an easy task,
since he's my friend. But better to be a friend and offer helpful
criticism, than to be subjected to bad behavior and strain that
friendship.

If it makes for a better presentation, I suppose it's worth doing.
It's never any fun being the heavy. But if our corrective actions
don't chase good folks away, it's for the best.

> Although I don't have any problem with being reminded of the correct way
> to act prior to a presentation.  We all forget sometimes.

This is probably the best way to do it, for now. I don't want to have
to establish a "code of proper behavior" before we know what that
entails within our group. Common courtesy is most appropriate, and if
we can foster that, then we'll all be better off.

> Just my opinion.  Use at your own risk.

Wise words, Bill. Same here.

--
David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com>