[wplug-plan] Problem with rude audience members at recent talks

Jonathan S Billings billings at negate.org
Mon May 2 10:28:27 EDT 2005

...And its time for me to start another rant about rude members.

Lately, WPLUG has been having some really cool talks, attracting people
from all over the area.  Unfortunately, we've had some problems with
audience members.  In particular, I can think of one person at the talk
last Saturday who was constantly interrupting the speaker, and who even
had the gall to answer his cell phone and talk on it.  Finally, the
speaker had to politely tell him to take the phone outside.

I would like to think it's common courtesy to pay attention in the
talks.  Maybe we need a simple introductory speech before talks telling
people to turn off their cell phones and not interrupt the speakers.  I
hate to think we have to stoop this low, since most of us are
professionals and don't need to be told to behave.

Any ideas?  Am I being too easily annoyed?  Did anyone attending the
talk have any comments?

--
Jonathan S. Billings <billings at negate.org>