[wplug-plan] installfest network policy

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Thu Mar 10 16:39:45 EST 2005

Hello,

There has been a long standing board approved policy to allow the hosts of
the event to be the final judges of attendee behavior. The hosts therefore
have the right to deny access to some event resources and/or remove
individuals for destructive behavior. Unfortunately this policy is so old
that I can not find it archived on the net but I assure you, the policy
still stands.

Just so that folks do not abuse our good nature, it has come
time for there to be an installfest policy. The hosts of this Saturday's
installfest, Jonathan Billings and myself, have drafted the following
policy therefore it will be in effect this Saturday.

I'm sorry this has to be done. 90% of you understand that wplug is a
family environment and behave appropriately. I thank the majority of you
for being friendly to newcomers, welcoming those who bring children,
treating attendees with respect, cleaning up after yourselves,
representing Linux and open source in a positive way to people of all
ages, etc. Most of you want wplug to be a non-hostile environment for all.

The 10% has made installfests less than enjoyable. We have had problems in
the past where attendees have abused installfest resources to view
pornography, download movies illegally, play audio files with sexual
connotations at a loud volume, etc. When this happens, the offender
attempts to make the issue a debate instead of respecting the hosts. Some
attendees are intimidated by the offending behavior and leave the event
with a bad image of wplug. Instead of arguing with attendees when if the
issue comes up, we need to have a posted policy so that no one claims the
hosts acting arbitrarily.

Just to be perfectly clear... This is not about free speech. This is about
making sure the installfest can be enjoyed by all.

Thanks,
Beth Lynn Eicher
WPLUG Board Chair

FULL INSTALLFEST POLICY:
The purpose of a WPLUG installfest is to install and configure Linux
and other open source software. We encourage you to use the provided
network to aid in the install procedure, as well as a source of
reference pertaining to Linux and/or open source projects.

We do, however, want to set a few rules about network usage.

1.) We are guests on Carnegie Mellon University's property and
network. The hosts of the event are the final judge of policy on use
of the facility, including the network and the room.

2.) Please do not use the network to:
  A.) Download or distribute protected media (warez, downloading
  mp3s, etc)
  B.) Download, distribute or display objectionable material (use
  your common sense, WPLUG is a family environment.)
  C.) Illegal activity, such as hacking or spamming.
  D.) Abusing the facility, such as flooding the network, sniffing
  packets, impersonating MAC addresses, etc.
  E.) Only those with Carnegie Mellon Andrew accounts may utilize
  the wireless network provided by the University. Creating or
  utilizing competing wireless networks is prohibited.

3.) Any inappropriate behavior will be handled by the host of the
meeting. If you do not cooperate with the hosts, you may be asked to
leave the meeting. The hosts may also choose to not provide network
service or electricity to anyone he or she suspects of not following
policy.

SHORT VERSION: (Spoken during announcements, written on sign-in sheet)

Welcome to the WPLUG installfest. You are a guest of the hosts of
this event, please cooperate with them at all times. Please use
common sense during the WPLUG event, as you may be asked to leave by
the hosts if you abuse the facilities.

EMAIL VERSION: (Included in installfest announcements)
The WPLUG installfests are free and open to the public. All who attend
are guests of the hosts of this event, please cooperate with them at all