[wplug-plan] [Fwd: [wplug] RE:one more question for today]

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Tue Feb 22 17:50:29 EST 2005

Brian Sammon <wplug-plan-list at brisammon.fastmail.fm> wrote:

> > > In general, I think that if immediate action needs to be taken, a
> > > stern reply to the list forbidding the topic is enough to cover our
> > > legal butts.
> >
> > Oh god.  And then the ensuing metadiscussion will rage for weeks.
> > "WPLUG is Trampling Our Freedoms" "Billings Sucks!" and so on.
> >
> > The way I see it, it's
> > * moderator saw problem
> > * moderator took action with the needs of the organization in mind
> > * moderator posted his actions to the -plan list, so the folks interested
> >   enough in the organization can take note, and possibly affect policty.
> >
> > We don't have to drag everything into the general list.  It's nice to
>
> This is wplug-plan, not the general list.  I think metadiscussion is part of
> the charter of wplug-plan.

If I understood Mark's post correctly, he wasn't opposed to discussing
this on wplug-plan at .   Instead, he was commenting that posting a stern
reply forbidding anything on wplug@ is likely to generate metadiscussion
of a "complaining about lost freedoms" nature _on_ wplug at .

I tend to think that he's right.

There are some people who just can seem to grasp the fact that unlimited
freedom is impossible.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies