[wplug-plan] [Fwd: [wplug] RE:one more question for today]

Mark Dalrymple wplug at badgertronics.com
Tue Feb 22 16:56:39 EST 2005

> In general, I think that if immediate action needs to be taken, a
> stern reply to the list forbidding the topic is enough to cover our
> legal butts.

Oh god.  And then the ensuing metadiscussion will rage for weeks.
"WPLUG is Trampling Our Freedoms" "Billings Sucks!" and so on.

The way I see it, it's
* moderator saw problem
* moderator took action with the needs of the organization in mind
* moderator posted his actions to the -plan list, so the folks interested
  enough in the organization can take note, and possibly affect policty.

We don't have to drag everything into the general list.  It's nice to
be Helpful and Happy and Open, but we don't have to suffer stupidity
either.  If someone signed up for the list and immediately posted
"What's the best way to subvert an ATM?  I'm just learning.  really.",
we don't need a huge metadiscussion to Decide That's Wrong.

If it were one of the list / irc / meeting regulars, a known quantity,
then a "dude, that's not good.  Please post a retraction or
something." would have sufficed, and I bet Jonathan would have done
just that.

The fact that the poster apologized shows understanding and maturity
on his part, and I hope he'll be a contributing member to the wplug
community in the future.

++md