[wplug-plan] [Fwd: [wplug] RE:one more question for today]

Zachary Uram netrek at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 13:14:11 EST 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:41:23 -0500, John Harrold <jmh17 at pitt.edu> wrote:
> Is it illegal to break into your own computers (or
> one of a friend who gives you permission to do so)?

Hi John,

I think if it's just a LAN and no publicly routable ips are involved
then that is your business however if a friend says you can try to
compropmise their system that most likely violates their ISP's TOS and
is still illegal. Even universities don't condone students breaking
into each others machines on dorm segments or running their NICs in
PROMISC mode.

Zach