[wplug-plan] PR committee

David Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 14:43:40 EST 2005

On 12/8/05, Vance Kochenderfer <vkochend at nyx.net> wrote:
> In short, all of these groups are or should be involved in PR;
> they may just not realize it yet.  If a PR committee is created,
> a good portion of their work will be coordinating with other
> committees.

You're right, and there will be quite a bit of coordination needed
between the committees. Coordination is a good idea, no doubting that.

I don't dispute that everyone ought to do PR, but in practice, some
are better than others. For instance, I work in an all-MS office. The
only tech people here are me, and an idiotic point-'n-click sysadmin
whose brought business to a standstill more times than I can count.
And he banned me from installing Firefox, probably because he doesn't
want me using a web browser that's smarter than he is. :) My options
for promoting open source are slim in daily life. Others have more
time, and likely come across more ears willing to listen than I
normally do. Those are the sorts of people who could really excel at
PR work.

> I'm not disputing the board's actions.  I'm just trying to drum up
> discussion on the issue so the membership can have some background
> when it comes time to debate and vote.  It's already told me a lot
> that the bare proposal itself doesn't really explain.

Yeah, I think we're all discovering that. The bylaws stuff was so much
easier; it was just a set of documents. And getting the language right
for them was a bit more abstract than tackling these sorts of issues.

--
David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com>