[wplug-plan] PR committee

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Wed Dec 7 18:17:57 EST 2005

Thanks for the responses.  To answer your last point, Dave,
procedural issues weren't really my concern.  (Although on that
topic, it might be a good idea to make the WPLUG Vice-Chair an
ex-officio member of any PR committee.)

What I had trouble with was figuring out what the committee
would actually *do*.  Outreach events, like Marketpro shows or
Software Freedom Day, already seem to fall under the scope of
the program committee (and of course nothing says you have to
be a member of that committee to help out at an event!).

I feel that inter-LUG communications and contacts with possible
partners/sponsors are sufficiently high-level that the board is
going to be involved anyway.  So in that case a committee would
tend to be duplicative.

Don't get me wrong; I agree with the view that PR is an
important and under-served function right now.  My main concern
is whether a new committee is the right way to go, or if it
would work better to have the board set PR as a priority and
work with the program, newsletter, internet, and ErieLUG
committees to achieve that.

IMO, it's important that any new committee that is created
expand participation.  It does little good to have 27 different
committees if they all draw from the same pool of 10 people.

If you've ever worked in a decent-sized company, you've probably
seen slogans like "safety is everybody's job."  The idea being
that just because there's someone who's the safety guy, doesn't
mean you don't have to watch out for hazards.  I'd like to make
sure we don't give the impression to the members that PR is
someone else's job.