[wplug-plan] PR committee

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Dec 7 14:26:47 EST 2005

David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/7/05, Vance Kochenderfer <vkochend at nyx.net> wrote:
> > > Bill moved that we recommend the following language to the Membership
> > > for approval as a special rule of order:
> [...]
> > Can someone provide a little background on this discussion?  At
> > first glance, it seems to me like these are activities the board
> > itself should be involved in.  But I might be missing the point.

The main reason _I_ wanted to do this is threefold:
1) To make publicity a _priority_ by having a dedicated committee
   for it.  May sound silly, but it seems to me that, considering
   what WPLUG offers, it's WAY under publicised.  There have been
   numerous discussions about promoting GUMs and the like, most of
   which haven't amounted to much.  I'm hoping that having a dedicated
   committee for this will raise the awareness of the need.
2) I'm hoping that having a committee specifically for this will
   encourage more people to get involved.  I may be wrong, but often
   having an "offical" title or something similar will inspire more
   action from people.
3) Successful PR is a "know how" thing.  Once a group of people gets
   together and learns what works, they will be the central place
   to get that information.  For example, once they figure out what
   kind of successful promotion gets people to GUMs, we can use
   their knowledge to get more distribution for the newsletter, etc.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies