[wplug-plan] job postings - do they have a place on wplug lists

Mark Dalrymple wplug at badgertronics.com
Fri Apr 29 16:01:17 EDT 2005

> Job postings - Do they have a place on wplug lists?

I think it'd be a good service for Our Community, and also help Linux / OSS
evangelism by showing that it is possible to make some mon-ay with it.

> an employer that they met through wplug but the employer never cut them a
> paycheck.

With everything, it's caveat emptor.  I've gotten stiffed on some jobs.
It's up to the stiff-ee to decide whether to pursue legal action, or just
inform everyone about $company's shady practices.

> Do we want job postings on the general wplug list?

Nope, because...

> Do we want to have a separate job list?

Yes.  wplug-jobs, or something, with the disclaimer (perhaps in the MailMan
autogenerated signatron) that WPLUG doesn't ensorse any particlar business
nor insures the accuracy and credibility of any posting.

> Should we allow posts for short-term contracts?

Yes

> Should we allow posts from general head hunters?

Good question.  So long as the head-hunter is into Linux / OSS.  Postings
for strict-VB jobs wouldn't be appropriate

> Must the jobs be Unix/Linux oriented?

Yes.  We shouldn't use wplug resources (the time/effort to set up and manage
the list) to help companies fill VB jobs.

> Must the jobs be in reasonable driving range for the local community ?

Yes.  We don't want to encourage the exodus of the Linux-savvy folks we currently
have.

It'd be cool having the mailing list archives be like a community rating system.
If someone got a short-term gig, they could post "great people to work with",
or if they got stiffed, can post a "I did $1000 worth of work for XYZ Corp, and
they never paid, even after sending 3 invoices"

Cheers,
++Mark Dalrymple.  markd at badgertronics.com.  http://badgertronics.com
  "programmer types tend to either have wry and sophisticated senses
   of humor, or else intolerably horrible senses of humor.
   its either achewood or diesel sweeties."
    -- rzolf