[wplug-plan] Programming suggestions

Alex thenamedtao at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 10 22:34:09 EST 2004

--- Beth Lynn <bethlynn at wplug.org> wrote:
> WPLUG hasn't done movies in eons due to licensing
> issues and
> questions regarding how appropriate is the content
> for our educational, family oriented environment.
> Thanks,
> Beth Lynn

We had a nice overview discussion about this whole
issue at the InstallFest today (Jenn came to install
Red Hat on a CMU professors Thinkpad, I came to
babysit.  ;)

I suggest for the future that unless we can get direct
written permission (as Beth Lynn said she's been
unable to procure), we respect any and all
licensing...in part because artists have copyright
licensing for a reason...and in part because open
sourcers pay such close attention to their own
specific licenses (gpl, etc.).

Instead, we should encourage members to invest in the
film for their own personal dvd libraries, to support
the artists who produced it.

..Alex.