[wplug-plan] Interested in a GUM/Tutorial on DocBook?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Aug 18 11:54:08 EDT 2004

wplug at badgertronics.com (Mark Dalrymple) wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm using Docbook (a markup langauge) to write some books and
> technical documentation.  The cool thing about DocBook is that it is a
> true separation of content from presentation.  The same DocBook source
> files can be used to make a PDF, generate HTML, and can be processed
> in other way to extract the structure and use them in different ways
> (for instance, the various features of http://borkware.com/corebook/
> are possible because we extracted the structure of the book and built
> the website around it)
>
> Now that the DocBook XMLtools are getting more mature and aren't a
> huge pain to get running, would anyone be interested in a presentation
> on it?

I think this would be great.  I know just enough about Docbook to be
dangerous (ask anyone with the FreeBSD team who has been forced to
fix one of my patches!)

As a side note, FreeBSD has a pretty comprehensive framework for the
FreeBSD Documentation project that allows you to install all the
necessary docbook tools with a single command, then use various "make"
targets to build the FreeBSD docbook sources into several targets
(html, pdf, etc) very easily.

Perhaps Tom Rhodes would be willing to contribute some things about
how the FreeBSD doc team has been using docbook to your presentation?

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies