[wplug-plan] Various things regarding FreeBSD and wplug

Jeremy Dinsel jeremy at wplug.org
Tue Nov 4 21:21:08 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 11:32, Bill Moran wrote:

> Taking this into consideration (since I wasn't aware of it before) I
> would suggest the following:
> 1) Don't make any changes if it's going to overburdon someone.  The BSD
>     community is very accustomed to visiting LUGs and hanging out with
>     Linux folks, because of Linux's larger mindshare.  Therefore,
>     following POLA, BSDers are not going to be surprised by a LUG that
>     also caters to BSD, while Linuxites may be surprised by BSD suddenly
>     being thrown into the mix with Linux.  So don't overburdon anyone.
> 2) Simply make it well known that wplug is BSD-friendly.  Perhaps a
>     special page on the wplug.org site that explains the LUGs
>     interaction with the local BSD community, as well as having the LUGs
>     existance announced on the various BSD project's web sites.
> 3) I don't know how much time/effort is required to be on the board, but
>     I may be interested in doing so, if people would like, and the time
>     requirement is not _too_ great.
> 4) I agree that adding extra meetings is A Bad Idea(tm).

I'm going to ask you to do all of this work. It seems like the right
thing to do. :) Can you come up with some information that you would
like to be presented on the web pages concerning BSD? We'll setup a link
to either a full page, a set of pages or just put a "Oh and if you like
BSD, come on over :)" ... whatever works best.

3) We're going to be asking for nominations and volunteers to join the
board within a few weeks. Keep your ears perked up.

4) Extra meetings are a thing for the future. If the BSD group really
takes off, then it might make sense to seperate the meetings, but that's
a future discussion.

> > Realisitically, if this is going to work, there needs to be a few
> > extremely active and social BSD'ers willing to make the new list into a
> > knowledgable and fun resource. Without smart, correct, and enjoyable
> > traffic on the list, it's going to be really hard to grow the new group.
>
> If it won't badly violate POLA, I think it might be better to simply use
> the existing list for any BSD traffic as it occurs, and create a new list
> if (and only if) the BSD traffic becomes a problem.

I'd prefer to start out with seperate lists. If the interest is very
low, we can reconsider merging. Technically speaking, we haven't really
voted on this notion and it's me that's driving the seperate list
initiative. I can be out voted.

-j
--
Jeremy Dinsel <jeremy at wplug.org>