[wplug-plan] Various things regarding FreeBSD and wplug

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Nov 3 14:32:10 EST 2003

Jeremy Dinsel wrote:
> I'd like to propose that if we persue this melding, that we should not
> try to over burden ourselves or allienate the users on the current list.
> Linux is growing into a mainstream OS with more than just extremely
> technical users. Adding into the mix a series of BSD platforms might
> confuse some and make interest waver -- causing list subscription and
> participation to falter.
>
> Proposal:
>
>   create a new and sepearete BSD email list (not wplug, but wplug-bsd or
> whatever) hosted by wplug's mailman
>   utilize the wplug-plan and wplug-board to manage the groups as one
>   use wplug-announce to announce BSD and Linux events
>   hold one meeting and install fest for all groups (will maximize on
> attendance and limit on extraneous effort)
>   a committed BSD'er will be needed to represent the second group at the
> board meetings (ie will need to be a board member)
>
> At least for the short term, this will allow the group to grow as the
> community desires without stressing out the already over burdened (and
> short staffed) board group (not to mention all of the people who
> volunteer to help setup the events outside of the board).

Taking this into consideration (since I wasn't aware of it before) I
would suggest the following:
1) Don't make any changes if it's going to overburdon someone.  The BSD
    community is very accustomed to visiting LUGs and hanging out with
    Linux folks, because of Linux's larger mindshare.  Therefore,
    following POLA, BSDers are not going to be surprised by a LUG that
    also caters to BSD, while Linuxites may be surprised by BSD suddenly
    being thrown into the mix with Linux.  So don't overburdon anyone.
2) Simply make it well known that wplug is BSD-friendly.  Perhaps a
    special page on the wplug.org site that explains the LUGs
    interaction with the local BSD community, as well as having the LUGs
    existance announced on the various BSD project's web sites.
3) I don't know how much time/effort is required to be on the board, but
    I may be interested in doing so, if people would like, and the time
    requirement is not _too_ great.
4) I agree that adding extra meetings is A Bad Idea(tm).

> If interest is great enough, in the future, seperation can take place--
> a wplug spin off. We'll sell off the shares and all make millions!

I'm buying up stocks as we speak ...

> Realisitically, if this is going to work, there needs to be a few
> extremely active and social BSD'ers willing to make the new list into a
> knowledgable and fun resource. Without smart, correct, and enjoyable
> traffic on the list, it's going to be really hard to grow the new group.

If it won't badly violate POLA, I think it might be better to simply use
the existing list for any BSD traffic as it occurs, and create a new list
if (and only if) the BSD traffic becomes a problem.

> I have approximately zero work to perfom in this, so take my thoughts
> with a grain of salt.

As I side note, I made an announcement/inquiry on the advocacy at freebsd.org
mailing list earlier today, and I've already had two Pittsburgh BSDers
asking for more information.

> On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 08:06, Bill Moran wrote:
>
>>Hey all,
>>
>>I really enjoyed the meeting on Saturday, and I really appreciated the opportunity
>>to speak.
>>
>>In case my comments on Saturday were ambiguous in any way, I _am_ planning to be
>>at the installfest this month.
>>
>>Additionally, I'm looking at seeing if there are any other local BSDers that would
>>be interested in getting involved in wplug.  As an offshoot of this effort, there
>>_is_ a FreeBSD user's group network (http://www.freebsd.org/support.html#user) and
>>there _is_not_ a FreeBSD user's group anywhere near Pittsburgh.
>>
>>I was wondering if there's any way that wplug's coverage could be "officially"
>>extended to embrace the BSDs as well.  Overall, make it more of a "FreeNIX user's
>>group".  Either way, I'm sure we could get wplug listed (since there are other LUGs
>>listed that also have a strong BSD interest).  This helps both FreeBSD and wplug.
>>
>>On a related note, I'm looking for places to announce wplug's installfest to the
>>FreeBSD community ... perhaps there will be BSDers (or potential BSDers) who would
>>like to attend, but haven't noticed wplug yet.

Bill Moran
Potential Technologies
http://www.potentialtech.com