[wplug-plan] [Fwd: Re: Linux Users Group Question]

Alex thenamedtao at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 27 10:54:28 EDT 2003

here, here!  (to be accompanied with appropriately
effervescent libations!).

:-)

City Books...that was the coffee shop.  ;-)

Tis true, I'm not as Linux-involved as other
advocates, but I do enjoy and encourage any group who
gets together both out of a sense of comraderie and
technology focus.  The spirit of Linux is both about
an awesome alternative and a dedicated community of
people, some of whom are in it for the money, others
who seek the pure intellectual challenge.  This is the
spirit of Linux and the best of Western culture.

Jeremy and I started wplug while I was in da 'burgh,
he and I branched out to the left coast.  While he's
still "out there", I'm back in Pgh and working in
Wheeling (www.orrick.com).  I'll be interested to see
how MOV LUG works out. As Jeremy said, wplug started
slowly...but has always seemed to
attract...er...roughly...;-)...the right elements for
continuing success.  Coffee and donuts at meetings
always help, with a smattering of pizza if an
install-fest lingers on.

..Alex.

http://wplug.org/pipermail/wplug-plan/2003-June/001057.html

> [...]
> question came up after
> the other questions). We had some difficulties in
> finding places to meet
> at first. The coffee shop, a member's employer's
> office, a library and
> finally CMU -- which has remained our host for
> several years now.
>
> Until you have a firm location to meet at, its best
> not to plan for
> recurring meetings. Again, the membership of your
> group will tell you
> how frequently to meet. wplug has found that monthly
> meetings and
> bi-monthly install festivals have provided a good
> amount of attendance.
> I must solute the people who are keeping up the
> bi-monthly install
> festivals. It's hard work which is often taken for
> granted.
>
> In talking about meetings, I think I am missing some
> key points
> concerning the mailing list. At the very beginning,
> the traffic on the
> list will probably be extremely low. Fortunately, I
> had been learning a
> lot of linux (and linux was making leaps and bounds
> every day); In order
> to increase the traffic on the list, I would write
> to the list and talk
> about the accomplishments and struggles I had with
> the new ways of doing
> things. This would sometimes spark conversation on
> the list. It would
> also encourage others to post similar messages. For
> new comers to the
> list, I imagined and hoped that seeing these
> conversation would draw
> them in.
>
> To review, at this point, we had gone through the
> steps of creating the
> list and set up one or two small meetings. Then we
> focused on attracting
> members to the group by discussing interesting and
> exciting topics on
> the mailing list. Most importantly, we built our
> organization up online
> first and then tried to take it offline.
>
> Linux attracts people of awesome caliber; this is
> one reason why we were
> able to start having meetings at CMU. The members
> and their contacts
> were (and are) phenomenal. We set a goal to have
> monthly meetings with
> content (GUM -- General Users Meetings -- thanks
> again to Alex L). Often
> this meant that on top of finishing up school, I was
> also working
> diligently on speeches that I'd present at the group
> meetings.
>
> Again, because of the caliber of people that are
> attracted to Linux, we
> were able to get other members who wanted to present
> and share their
> enjoyment. If it weren't for them, our meetings
> wouldn't have been half
> as fun as they were.
>
> Around this time, I had found myself close to GLUE
=== message truncated ===

name=signature.asc