[wplug-plan] RE: [wplug] Computer for Geeks+ Geek (re)training;)

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Thu Nov 21 00:48:04 EST 2002

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Beth Lynn wrote:
> A number of folks from Butler county already are
> comfortable hauling all the way to CMU. It might
> not make sense for that reason trying to do some
> WPLUG non-Pittsburgh event in Cranberry.

I disagree with that logic. Perhaps if there are enough people, they might
want to have a Cranberry SIG and meet on their own on an alternate day?
I think I'll add SIGs to our next board meeting agenda.

> Someone had posted to the general list from Erie,PA
> who wanted to get a LUG started there. Would there
> be any interest in getting a carload of WPLUG-ers
> to go up there to help those folks get started?

I would go depending on classwork. I think we should have a tentative plan
before we went however. Something a bit more organized than our typical
GUM or installfest.

> Should WPLUG go on the road?
> Anyone interested?

I have been discussing some related topics on a lug list outside of
WPLUG, does that make me a LUG flirt? If we go on the road, I think we
should talk to some of these other groups first and see what worked for
them. I would also like to see a 'On the Road Kit' that included a
configurable schedule of presentations, demos, talks, or something, that
would make us and linux look a bit cleaner on the edges.

On a related topic, I received a flyer in the mail announcing the first
Annual Radius thing. http://www.radiuspittsburgh.com/
I think this is part of the revive pittsburgh stuff.

I'm considering contacting the organizer and asking if we could have a
free booth, but I would want commited volunteers to help organize this.
The dates of this are June 4-6, so in about 7 months.

-james