[wplug-plan] RE: [wplug] Computer for Geeks+ Geek (re)training;)

Steve Kudlak chromexa at ovis.net
Thu Nov 21 00:03:22 EST 2002

Beth Lynn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is really a discussion for the -plan list
> rather than the general list.
>
> If you wish to participate in this thread beyond
> this post, please subscribe to -plan
> Links for subscribing to -plan can be found at
> http://www.wplug.org/
>
> Forgive me to anyone who is on the general and
> -plan, as you will get this message twice.
>
> As the wplug installfest coordinator, I think
> we should first determine what area is underserved
> based on interest and population.
>
> A number of folks from Butler county already are
> comfortable hauling all the way to CMU. It might
> not make sense for that reason trying to do some
> WPLUG non-Pittsburgh event in Cranberry.
>
> Someone had posted to the general list from Erie,PA
> who wanted to get a LUG started there. Would there
> be any interest in getting a carload of WPLUG-ers
> to go up there to help those folks get started?
>
> Some people have posted the suggestion of Irwin.
> Would there be interest in Westmoreland county for
> that sort of thing? Are those who are interested
> in Westmoreland who live in Westmoreland county
> already
> coming to WPLUG?
>
> Once we've found an area to target, we would have
> to find some enthusiastic local folks who would be
> interested in getting the message out there.
>
> It's a little more work than what you might have
> expected, but maybe worthwile.
>
> Should WPLUG go on the road?
> Anyone interested?
>
> Thanks,
> Beth Lynn
>
> --- YM_M4I5S3S_15 at YM_M4I5S3S_16.net wrote:
> > I Agree, I think most libraries would do this, plus
> > it's easy to find and
> > easy access.
> >
> > matt
> >
> > From: "YM_M4I5S3S_17"
> <YM_M4I5S3S_18 at YM_M4I5S3S_19.YM_M4I5S3S_20.net>
> > To: <YM_M4I5S3S_21 at YM_M4I5S3S_22.org>
> > Subject: RE: [YM_M4I5S3S_23] Computer for Geeks+
> Geek
> > (re)training;)
> > Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 16:38:37 -0500
> >
> > I think most of the local libraries would be glad to
> > allow an
> > YM_M4I5S3S_26 to be held in there facility.  I think
> > it should be tried.
> >

> > I would not mind having one or two for coworkers and
> > YM_M4I5S3S_27, maybe we
> >
> > could even do a free YM_M4I5S3S_28
> demo/YM_M4I5S3S_29
> > somewhere other than YM_M4I5S3S_30 at
> > maybe a local library and raffle/door prize a
> > machine to people that
> > show
> > up.

Well it would be too far to suggest than wplug
come down here to West Virginia. We sorely
need something down here, but whether there
are more than like 5 widely seperated people
down here is an open question.

So if I can arrange transportation I will hit the
GUMs and install-fests. Maybe I can start a
small Linux thing down here at some point.

I am really excited that there is some thought of
training people to do things with Linux. I will
probably ending up doing general computer
training and add Linux to the mix. I think I can
be convincing about the issue.

Particularly interested seem to be graphics and
arts people who don't want to go, and can't really
afford to go the MAC route. This is why I make
so many noises about all that graphics and art
stuff. These people are scattered about the
landscape it might be easier for me to get them
to come to Wheeling than go to Pittsburgh.

Should wplug go on the road? Hmm odd for
me to say since I have not yet made a GUM
but it sounds like an exciting idea. It might
be a way to counter the believe than some
have that Linux is "hard" and involves too
much geeky detail.

Have Fun,
Sends Steve

P.S. I hope this is the right place to post...