[wplug-plan] An idea for a WPLUG gathering

Beth Lynn bluekanary at yahoo.com
Sun May 12 22:37:08 EDT 2002

hi,

Ok, this has been my research so far as for
possible summer fun options...
A. Rent a picnic spot somewhere
 1. City park, ie Schenley Park
    url
http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/parks/html/picnic_shelters.html
    + close to where we meet
    - more expensive than most places
 2. County park, ie North Park
    url
http://www.county.allegheny.pa.us/parks/fees/permit.asp
    + cheaper than city
    + many wplugers life north of pgh
    - distance from where we usually meet, which may
      cause transportation problems
    - many groves lack decent restroom facilities
  3. Other Locals, some smaller townships rent out
     their picnic spots.
     no url
     + could be MUCH cheaper, I rented a whole park
       in Whitehall for a day for $1
     - location, transportation could be a big problem
B. Pittsburgh Zoo
   url http://www.pittsburghzoo.com/hr_packages.html
   + we finally get to see "our penguin"
   - the group adult admission is $6 a person,
pre-paid
     2 weeks in advance
   - I don't think we can bring our own food
C. Kennywood
   url http://www.kennywood.com/
   + it's a fun place to be for geeks and non-geeks
alike
   + we could bring our own food
   - we would have to have at least 25 people and pay
     72 hours in advance to get the discount
   - by far the most cost per person
D. Some member's house or backyard
   no url
   + it would be free and a very generous offering
from the member who's house it would be at
   - no member has stepped forward
   - my place isn't big enough
   - we have no idea how many people would be coming
     so it may not be practical
   - location, transportation could be a big problem

Please let me know if there's any other ideas here.
Perhaps with some help from the wplug web group we
could post a poll and see how it goes.

Transportation problems could possibly solved with a
car pool if we see an option that we very much like.

Thanks,
Beth Lynn