[wplug-plan] A write up for getting Linux in Pitt.

Beth Lynn bluekanary at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 14:52:20 EST 2002

Hello,

I speak on this issue on four levels...
1) I feel partially responsible for the demise
of Pitt-Lug since I tried to save it and could not
2) Former employee of CSSD, in the unix support
department
3) Pitt alumnus BSIS 12/2000
4) WPLUG board member.

I think it would be a great idea to approach someone
about leaving some flyers about public linux
resources,
WPLUG information or possibly a poster about WPLUG in
the Linux computer lab.

However, it would be dangerous for WPLUG to offer
to volunteer at the lab or start making suggestions
as to how to improve their lab.

You may have better luck tracking down linux users
in the Pitt community, taking a survey of what they
would like to see supported at this new lab. Then,
presenting it to CSSD. Keep in mind, it may be
ignored, stamped-out, rejected, fillabustered, etc.

To my understanding, there may have been a recent
shake-down at CSSD. Traditionally, CSSD is arrogent
and full of slack. They don't want anybody telling
them what to do, offering help, or basically doing
anything that would create more work on their part
or making them look bad. CSSD is image above all,
and if service is to lack because of it, then so be
it.

Back in Spring of 2000, they way unix support was
done around CSSD was so expensive and so troublesome,
nobody wanted a SUN or Linux box. If someone needed
help with their unix box, they would either call into
the help desk or fill out a help ticket online. If
the help desk people couldn't figure it out (grand
majority staffed by undergrads who work around the
clock) the help ticket would eventually be assigned
to the unix group which consisted of 3 undergrad
students and 1.5 full time personelle. The ticket
would then go to one or more of these people, where
if they had to make an office call to resolve the
request, the department would be changed $60 an hour
with a $60 minimum charge. Said office call may take
1-2 weeks to schedule. This was so troublesome an
expensive, no one wanted to bother asking for unix
support.

Hopefully things have gotten better since then.

My recommendation, if WPLUG is to approach CSSD,
that we proceed by just offering information
materials.

Thanks,
Beth Lynn