[wplug-plan] LUG stuff

Weber, Larry A laweber at switch.com
Thu Feb 28 07:38:32 EST 2002

There is a nice write up about the value of LUGs in this week's edition of
InfoWorld.  The author provides the URL to the Linux Journal GLUE website,
www.ssc.com/glue.  The article is available online at
http://www.infoworld.com/community/t_opinions.html

I noticed on the GLUE site that WPLUG is listed but not as a GLUE member.  I
also saw that there are regular comments from people in Pittsburgh who are
either looking for a LUG or who want to start one.  One entry from the
beginning of this month was from someone looking to start a LUG.  I was
wondering if anyone monitors this site and responds to these people?  Do you
think it would be a good idea to "join" GLUE.  From their site the benefits
of membership are:
*	A 10% discount on Linux Journal CDs to group members
*	A copy of each of the Linux Journal archive CD-ROMs
*	A copy of BRU 2000 Backup And Restore Utility
*	A copy of Caldera Systems OpenLinux
*	A copy of TCL Blast!
*	A copy of Red Hat Linux
*	A discounted 2-year subscription rate to The Perl Journal for LUG
members
*	An enhanced listing with web pointer to the group
*	E-mail list server available for group use
*	20 free ``member'' bumper stickers
*	Sample magazines for meeting give-aways/promotion
*	Sample Linux products from participating vendors
*	A subscription to Linux Journal
	Some of these item might make good raffle items, others could be
kept as group resources.  Most importantly, it would put our groups name
near the top of the page and list the time and place of our meetings.
	Yesterday I was talking to a representative of the Pittsburgh
Technology Council.  One of his responsibilities it to provide support to
Pittsburgh based user groups.  Among the services they offer is the
distribution of a flyer with all of the local user groups' meeting dates,
contacts, etc.  He said he would be glad to add WPLUG to the sheet.  We were
at the .NET event and did not have time to talk about other services they
offer but I have his card if anyone is interested.  This might be a
speaker's resource we could tap into.

-laweber