[wplug-plan] Big Nerd Ranch Review

Robert Dale rdale at wplug.org
Sat Aug 31 17:38:21 EDT 2002

On Sat, 31 Aug 2002, Zach Paine wrote:

> Aaron Hillegass, author of "Cocoa Programming for Max OS X", and instructor at
> the Big Nerd Ranch (bignerdranch.com) has asked Evan and/or myself to write a
> review of our time at the ranch and post it somewhere.  My first thought was
> to put something on wplug.org, but wasn't sure if that was appropriate or
> not.  What do you guys think?  It is not specifically related to Linux, but
> it is related to a unix-based OS and there are many OS X users (and
> users-to-be) in WPLUG.  It could possibly provide more traffic for the
> website as well as serve as some PR in as much as it will get our name out
> there.  I could put it in a new review section that the web team has been
> meaning to implement, and could hopefully start a trend of more reviews of
> books/classes/conventions.  Opinions?

wplug seems to support two themes - linux and open source.  Cocoa does not
run on Linux nor is it open source (neither is OS X, for that matter).

The argument that there are "many OS X users" in wplug is not valid.  There
are many windows users, but that does not mean we would support a presentation
on MFC.  And MFC is much like Cocoa in that it does not run on Linux nor is
it open source.

I think a review of cocoa does not belong in wplug.

--
Robert Dale