[wplug-plan] wplug web pages post server move

Evan DiBiase evand at wplug.org
Sat Apr 27 20:56:28 EDT 2002

I am not in control of the various aspects of the site that need fixed,
so I'll detail what's going on.

On Saturday, April 27, 2002, at 07:36  PM, Jeremy Dinsel wrote:

> After the server move, the web pages have completely sucked. I've seen
> the same flat index page for the last week -- without a link to the
> mailing lists -- and have grown tired of it.

This is now fixed.

> As another line item in my rant, the fact that we are running both mysql
> and pgsql is mind boggling. Remove pgsql and use mysql -- there's more
> data in our mysql db than pgsql. The fact that one of the reasons for
> the
> software upgrade was to upgrade the pgsql database is another point for
> ranting.

I am not a fan of MySQL, and if I were doing the old backend today, I
would use Postgres. We'll be moving to Postgres for whatever backend we
use next.

> The upgrade should not have happened under such circumstances. Before
> making such a drastic move, a development box should have been setup
> with new software and had the bugs worked out before we cut the whole
> system over.

And I expect that Digital Mission will receive such a box shortly, right?

> I would like to see a list of items concerning the remaining work, who
> is
> working on it and when we expect the site to be fully restored.
>
> Here's a list of items that I have discovered; please add to it:
>
>    root index.php overwritten --> backup needs to be restored
>    mysql database needs to be rebuilt with pre-move tables

Done.

>    data from pgsql needs to be moved into mysql
>    pgsql needs to be removed

Not unless you can prove that running both is harmful. If anything, I'd
move the Postgres stuff to MySQL, but it would be both futile and
time-consuming with the current codebase.

-Evan