[wplug-plan] Re: [wplug] New WPLUG member (fwd)

David Ostroske eksortso at linuxmail.org
Wed Nov 21 12:28:06 EST 2001

From: Robert Dale <rdale at wplug.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 14:48:43 -0500 (EST)

Pretty cool, Mark!

To answer both questions, we don't have to force more than just a first choice. If a ballot is exhausted (i.e. all its choices get eliminated), it gets set aside. Somebody could pick a single choice, and if that choice gets eliminated, then the ballot just becomes exhausted.

The ranked ballot was designed to prevent vote-splitting. If someone only cares for a single candidate, they can vote just that, but they won't have any say beyond that. If someone prefers a second choice over a third, they can mark the second choice and eithwe rank the third choice further down, or not vote for the third candidate at all.

Here's a clearer example of how the votes would be counted:
http://www.election.com/us/icann/icannresult.html

All the races were won with majorities, except for the North American seat. That one took several rounds. We don't have to use the decreasing quota if we don't want to; we can just count >50% of all good ballots cast for victory. It may take a tad longer to get to that, but it gives people who exhausted their ballots a little more power.

Tie-breaking might be a little tougher. If there's a tie, we could use the vote counts for the tied candidated in the previous round to break the tie. If they're running even, we could pick a rule now to break it. Let's say, if there's a tie, the name that was suggested last in time would be eliminated.

That should define the whole election sufficiently. Anyone want to comment on this?

--- Dave Ostroske
    eksortso at linuxmail.org