[wplug-plan] re: new guideline for videos at gums and installfests

Robert Dale rdale at wplug.org
Tue Nov 13 15:48:36 EST 2001

First, there are no new guidelines for videos at GUMs or installfests.
There are no new, old, or otherwise guidelines whatsoever for videos at
GUMs or installfests.  And, AFAIK, there never have been.

Any new guideline would have to approved by the board first.  There have
been no proposals for new guidelines submitted to the board or wplug-plan.
wplug does not recognize any new guidelines for videos at installfests
and/or GUMs.

Now, what I think has happened here is a little confusion.  Beth Lynn has
been taking a major lead position in organizing GUMs and installfests
which I think is great, wonderful, and has been very successful.  However,
there is another side to Beth Lynn.  Beth Lynn is a representative and primary
contact of CMU for wplug where she has some serious obligations to CMU.

I think what was meant to happen was that those guidelines are supposed to
be applied to the rooms at CMU.  (Even still, they should not have been
posted to the general list.  It's up to the regulatory body to make sure
its members stay within the guidelines.)  So, if that's the case, then
wplug would be obligated to follow the rooms rules if it wishes to
continue using rooms at CMU.  I think this is very acceptable.

I don't think it is acceptable for wplug to decide what its members can
and can not watch.

However, I agree that there are some problems with showing certain
material and there should be some wplug-enforced guidelines for dealing
with them.  One such item is copyrighted material.  Another is relevancy
to the group's purpose.  A couple of quick suggestions would be that we
can't show copyrighted material without the owner's consent unless
otherwise stated it can be shown publicly and that the material must bear
some relevance to linux.

Comments?

--
Robert Dale