Lists (Re: [wplug-plan] Bylaws, the Board, and the Lists)

David Ostroske eksortso at telerama.com
Tue May 29 13:23:55 EDT 2001

According to the bylaws:

    Online decision making

            Except for emergency situations and such meetings as the
    Board may later designate, all decisions of the Board shall be
    made online via a Board List or Lists.  The Board may establish
    the Board List as two separate sub-lists, a "Discussion  List"
    that is exclusively for discussion and a "Decision List" for the
    submission of specific proposals to be approved and the recording
    of "polling" results.  All discussion among the Directors
    concerning Board matters and proposals before the Board shall be
    held on such list(s), which shall be exclusively for the use of
    the Board, with an exception being that read access shall be
    provided to WPLUG participants.  The list(s) archive shall
    constitute the minutes and record of decision.

So then, all proposals are decided upon in the Decision List (wplug-board), no
matter what. If two lists are set up, online discussions are held on the
Discussion List. Anyone not on the Board can only read the list traffic.

If the Board debated some point online in the chat room, then it wouldn't count
as a valid meeting, because no minutes would be recorded. If the Board debated
on wplug-plan, then it wouldn't count because anyone can respond to messages
posted by Board members; i.e. wplug-plan isn't exclusive to the Board.

That's too bad, since wplug-plan has always been used to make decisions in the
past. Then again, we've never had fixed "Board meetings," per se.

The bylaws ought to be amended to allow debate to carry out over wplug-plan,
while requiring summary "minutes" and voting to be posted to wplug-board. That
way, decisions will still be made the way they have been done in the past, but
with the formality of minutes and voting on wplug-board to make them official.

My $0.02, at least.

--- Dave Ostroske
    eksortso at telerama.com