[wplug-plan] Bylaws

David Ostroske eksortso at telerama.com
Thu May 10 23:49:25 EDT 2001

Quoting Zach Paine <zman at wplug.org>:
> On Tue, 08 May 2001 10:08:56 Robert Dale wrote:
> > http://www.wplug.org/~rdale/wplugbylaws.html
>
> So, is it correct that a board member can vote through not saying
> anything,
> but has to verify this decision later?

The way I interpret this (actually, the way I'm proposing that this be handled)
is that it's like an "approval of the minutes." The entire board was informed,
there were no objections, and the decision's been made, but to make it
official, we verify the decision. Unlike positive affirmation, though, this
verification can be performed informally, just so long as the directors'
individual verifications are aggregated and noted with the decision.

Technically, a director can withhold their verification and block decisions
made earlier. This would rarely happen, since we're operating on a consensus
basis. But that's just another reason why verification should be relatively
simple. We're just making sure that what we decided on is perfectly clear.

>  Do we want to adopt these (I
> say
> yes).

I would make only one change. There's still a section which says "ADDITIONAL
MATERIALS TO BE ADDED." I think Dave T had some idea how the Board List(s)
would work or be implemented but didn't include it in this draft. Essentially,
that should be in the Board's first order of business.

Can we replace the clause "ADDITIONAL MATERIALS TO BE ADDED" with the
following? "The initial structure of the Board List or Lists shall be
determined by the Board at its first Meeting." That would give us a chance to
set some precedents under the official rules.

> How do we decide on an initial board?  I'm willing to put forward
> list of people I feel have helped out:
>
> Evan DiBiase
> Zach Paine
> Robert Dale
> Brian Sammon
> David Ostroske
> Jonathan Billings
> Jeremy Dinsel
> James O'Kane

Woah. I'm honored, Zach, and I would vote for everyone on this list. But by the
bylaws, shouldn't the initial Board be determined by whoever controls WPLUG
resources? As of now (and probably at the time when the bylaws are adopted),
the resources are comprised of the treasury, access to the server, and whatever
hardware and materials we currently possess. I don't control any of these
things, so I wouldn't be on the initial board. Do we have a complete list of
everyone in control of these resources?

> I'm probably forgetting some people, so don't be offended.  This
> decision,
> as most have been made recently will be made through lack of objection,
> so
> if you want to speak up, the time is now.
>
> --
> Zach Paine
> http://www.wplug.org/~zman/zman.key
> Key available from pgp.ai.mit.edu ID: 87746D3D
> Fingerprint: B813 EFB8 ECD0 0C34 6F7F  71DD 01E9 17C3 8774 6D3D

--- Dave Ostroske
    eksortso at telerama.com